Monday, June 22, 2009

Weather Window

The past few weeks here in SLC has been pretty wet. It's usually raining during the day with an hour or two chance to go out for a run. Climbing has been put on hold. Last Friday was the first day in a while that it didn't rain a single drop throughout the day. Escaping captivity of the house, I made plans to meet up with Shelby and go climb in Big Cottonwood.

The highlight was climbing a new route we both haven't done before. It took us longer to find the route than actually climb it! Or so it seemed. It was a long single pitch climb with a small roof to pull at the top which was protected by a bomber #8 golden jesus nut. I was so happy to find that and it boosted my confidence if there were to be a penalty from falling.



Traditional climbing is my absolute favorite type of climbing. I seem to have complete tunnel vision in each and every move I do over the rock. I think I have such high focus because I know I am really taking all responsibility in my own hands. The consequence is real in what you do, whether it be hand/foot holds or gear placement.

This route had a run out start (first piece was about 25 ft. high), but it was relatively easy going. After that the middle section as pretty low angle/big hold climbing. Then you reached the crux roof. It was a pretty exciting climb and since there are many different ways to go up the long roof, I hope to be back. Certainly not a one and done type climb.

Scenic pictures from the climb:



Next week good weather!

No comments: