Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Time To Climb

After a marginal weekend at best I decided to dust off my climbing gear to get my butt kicked. I traveled down to St. George, where the sport climbing dominates the area. However my buddy Garrett and I had different plans in trying to climb as much in the traditional sense.

Garrett is a much more seasoned climber than I so I took this opportunity to re-awaken the muscle fibers in my forearms to really push my limits right off the bat.


Garrett leading a 10.b in Zion (northern part in Kolob Canyon)


Beauty in Zion


Me heading up pitch 1 of Rat Race (Snow Canyon, St. George) 5.9R This climb had everything. Off-width, crack, slab, runouts, chimney. It was a beast! Little bit of technique in everything. We decided to link this route up with Will's rush. Overall a 500 ft. climb. The idea was to have an early start and try to beat the heat but that didn't work out so well.


A side view of the climb we did in Snow Canyon. The low/center of the pic shows a pretty big obvious roof which, on its left hand side is a big crack. This was pitch 1 of Rat Race.

I'm glad to be back on the vertical world. It brings you to places you never knew existed. Climbing also brings you to challenge both your physical and mental attributes. I find myself each year bringing my body to new levels it never knew existed. This summer I hope to climb a bunch in the canyons (BCC & LCC) and when Garrett visits, the Lone Peak Cirque.

No comments: